Probably the last regular miso this season. A 6 month rice miso, it’s kind of an extra emergency batch for the fermentation festival in october.

Now I just have a couple more experiments to do.

The first experimental miso this season is lupine miso. With the the skin still on, 4 hours of boiling and cooling overnight, they turned out pretty dark.

I used the standard recipe with rice koji, and now it will get a 2 year fermentation.

Friends have given me bean samples to test for making miso.

On the left is culinary lupines from France (I believe) from a tempeh maker in west Sweden, and on the right are small black beans and large ‘soy’ beans from a japanese friend. Last year I tried field beans, which is still fermenting.

This year I’m starting with a half a kilo of lupines soaking.

I finally got the last koji done for this season, maybe for the year.

It’s a rye koji made with barley starter bought from Japan (Higuchi).

In the last 4 months I’ve made about 30 kilos of rice, barley and rye koji. I’ve used a lot already, but there is plenty left for sales and for miso making in the fall. If I need more I can always get the process going again.

Now I can concentrate more on the garden.

One compost pile that has been fermenting for 2 years is already out on the crop circle that I’m starting to plant in.

Leaving a good place to start a new one.

First a layer of coarse material like these sunflower stalks. After that probably a layer of manure, then layer upon layer of kitchen scraps, dirt, garden scraps, manure, dirt etc until it gets about a meter high. Then I let it sit for a couple of years. (With a little pitch forking from time to time.)

Or rather exploded. It’s been warm off and on since february, but last week was wintery – grey, cold and windy. Today it’s like a summer day, as was yesterday and probably 10 days on. And inspiring early garden activity. Like opening up the rest huts.

Planting trees and bushes like this grape plant.

And start more cabbages, lettuce and herbs.

I also tilled the crop circle where the students had spread compost, made a couple beds where I set onions, and carrots.

And set a row of Timo potatoes as the sun was getting low.

It’s quite early for here and I may have to cover for later frost, but it’s worth a try.

I met a miso and koji enthusiast at the Fermentation Day recently. He came by yesterday to see how I do it. I scheduled the day so we could make miso and start a batch of barley koji while he was here.

First we made an herb miso with french soybeans (precooked the night before), barley koji, seasalt, basil, thyme, oregano and garlic.

We used the standard recipe with a deciliter each of the herbs. There was a small jar for him to take home.

We also made a batch of barley koji – steam cooked the barley, let it cool, then mixed in koji starter.

Then he returned home without seeing the mold grow for 2 days, but he did see the result of the previous batch, which we spread out to dry.

Another chickpea miso.

I had a bag of 900 grams rice koji and 400 grams of chickpeas, so all I needed was to get 500 grams more chickpeas and weigh up 414 grams salt, and I would have a 90% miso – 90% of the standard recipe.

Chickpea miso has sailed up as a good seller. It’s gluten free, soy free, and it has a very good flavor.

It grew fine is ready to dry.

Everytime I start a new koji season it takes a couple of batches to remember all the details, ticks, ideosyncrcies and tricks I use. This first batch of barley koji turned out fine tho, but it could have been slightly better.

Students from Uppsala University were here for a field trip yesterday, from the CEMUS program for sustainable development.

The weather was very cold this year, so they had to work hard to keep warm, spreading compost on one of the crop circles.

They were 20 this time, and it was hard work for me to keep them busy. We had a very good time tho.