Archives for category: Recycling

The stonework is finished, and I am very happy with this seasons progress. 

I even made a television. The very first permaculture TV set in the world, as far as I know. During fall storms I can sit in the conservatory by the pot belly stove and watch the war of the ants. 
  

But now it’s time to cover the stonewall work in progress, to keep it dry during the winter freeze.  

 

Loading the batteries for winter.  

 

I bought three of these solar powered lamps at IKEA a few years ago to have in the garden sheds. They are robust, long living and have a strong light. They don’t sell them anymore, so I wish I had bought more. A couple of days ago I found 2 more at a second hand store and bought them. 

I hope to have the garden totally solar powered some day – besides the photosynthesis of course. 

No frost yet! That is good for the maize and pumpkins that are still ripening. 

But I’m getting close to the end of the stone building season. I may be able to keep doing stonework for another few weeks by covering over the fresh layer with a tarp when the temperaturs drop a few degrees below zero. 

A load of angular stones. 

  

Where the stones go. 

  

We have made loads of new pickles these last few weeks – naturally fermented vegetables made with the help of lactic acid producing bacteria.

The latest batch is in the kitchen getting started. 
Earlier batches are cooling down and fermenting in the cellar. 
  
And the garden is still producing buckets of cucumbers to ferment. 

As well as cabbages and carrots   

  

 

So far it’s been a fantastic year for growing vegetables and pickling.

So much so, that I’ve had to invest in about 50 new pickling jars. I buy used ones too, when I find them.  

 

 

 
A marble slab from the auction, some cement and a couple of rusty bars for support and presto, a shelf in the gothic greenhouse. 

The weeds are kind of under control. Other projects get attention. A new garden shed is one. The roof beams are up.  

 

And the stone paving in the front is sunk into the turf. 

  
They have to settle in awhile, then be adjusted with sand later. I got them for free at a local yard sale, that is, if I took them off their hands. Otherwise, I don’t have enough used lumber for the shed, so it’s going slowly, and it looks like I’ll have to buy some new.

This is a never ending story. In fact, I will be very sad if it ever gets finished. 

I put a few more layers of rocks on this section. 

It’s up close to the height I want, so I moved tomatoes there to catch the sun and warmth while I work on the back section.  

Then in the fall, I’ll try to top it off for the winter with a couple more layers. This time permenently capping it with some ceramic half pipes I got at the farmers auction last sunday. 

  

The last stretch home to Timogarden. 

 

 

I’m fixing some fences. The thuyas have grown out of their chicken wire wrapings.

  

And something needs to be done to stop the deer from rubbing their horns on them and ruining these shrubs.

  

 

I’ll put sheep fencing around them instead. 

  

 

It will expand better, look nicer and be easier to take away for grass mowing and such.  

This fence needs some repair and improvement too. 

  

The wild swine haven’t come into the garden yet, but when they do I suppose I’ll have to put up electric fence around the whole area. But not until I must!

Two old timers – me and my oldest overalls. The overalls have at least 20 years of gardening experience (and me too).
2015/03/img_5496.jpg
Now thanks to Sashiko, they may last another 20 (if I do).

2015/03/img_5498.jpg