Archives for posts with tag: Cucumbers


I made this jar of cucumber pickles last week. I didn’t notice that the rubber sealing ring broke, a lot of air flowed in and within a week the the mold grew profusely into a fluffy covering. If it had been a tiny bit of mold I could take it off, put on a new rubber ring and let it continue fermenting, but this is too much, and out to the compost it goes. My compost will love it!

Advertisements

The first bucket of cucumbers marks the start of a new pickling season. 


Along with dill, garlic, mustard seed, salt and water, everything is stuffed in the jar for fermentation. 


Each week I harvest at least a bucket of cucumbers. Along with garlic, dill, and a 3% salt brine, into jars they go for lactic fermentation. This week I made a jar with blanched wax beans too. It has a cucumber in the middle for an extra boost of lactic acid producing bacteria. 

After a few tired days of straightening up after the wonderful big garden party, things are are getting back to normal – weeding, building and harvesting. Dispite the drought, everything is growing bonkers. I picked my first bucket of pickling cucumbers. 

All set for lactic fermentation. 


Now for a day of harvesting for the market (Fyristorg) tomorrow. 

I picked these cucumbers a few days ago before the first frost.  

Into the jar they go for at least 5 weeks of lactic acid fermentation.  

The jar behind is from last year made with cucumbers that did get a bit of frost. They turned out fine but not among the best I’ve made. 

There are cucumbers in there. 
We’ve never had so much beautiful dill.  

The cucumber pickling season has begun. 

Our first harvest this summer.  

In the jars 
10 liters of cukes, dill, garlic, and other spices, covered with 10 liters of water with 300 gm salt (3%) mixed in, set to ferment for 5 weeks or more. 

Todays harvest;

20140806-114521-42321682.jpg
They get big so fast. I’ll have to pick more often.

More pickling tonight.

I picked the first cucumbers of the season.

20140731-213954-77994179.jpg
And some dill.

20140731-214124-78084977.jpg
The result:

20140731-214228-78148308.jpg

No risk for frost any more. In fact the last frost was many weeks ago. It’s definitely time to plant out the pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, gourds, maize, etc, and a little bit more of everything else too.

20140610-162126-58886854.jpg
Each pumpkin plant gets an extra dose of old cow manure.

20140610-162149-58909867.jpg

20140610-162221-58941820.jpg
I need a lot more mulching material.

20140610-162256-58976958.jpg
There is a variety of sunflowers in the center and randomly dispersed among the pumpkins. Hokkori (Hokkaido pumpkin) and other pumpkins spiral outwards, with maize (sweet corn) in raised beds around the edges (along with some garlic and a few perennials).

20140610-162323-59003051.jpg
I could have started a couple of weeks earlier this year, but with the off and on weather, I figured it was best to stick to the traditional schedule.

This weeks pickling result:

20130904-201301.jpg
The cucumbers leftover from last saturdays market are now in the pickling brine (3%), and the lactic acid bacteria are busy and multiplying.

I cleaned out and harvested the summer and savoy cabbage – a bit late. They were some of the ugliest cabbages I’ve ever seen, with all the insect damage, leaf wilt and split tops.

But upon inspection I managed to find 13 kilos of good cabbage for making sauerkraut (in the middle of the picture), and an equal amount of refuse that went directly onto the compost pile where it will be transformed into beautiful new life.

I used the 3 kilos of savoy cabbage for a batch of kimchi (to the right in the picture).