Archives for posts with tag: Tane koji

This week we made a rice miso using the standard recipe Р1 kilo sojabönor, 1 kilo koji och 460 gram seasalt.

I have been making a lot of rice koji lately, about half using starter from Higuchi Shoten and half with starter from Gem Cultures, so I got the idea to test them parallel (again? – I think I have before, but not done yet – I’ll have to check).

This time, after cooking the beans, I divide everything in half.

Grind, mix and package as usual.

And watch and wait 2 years.

It’s the second day (36 hours). The tane koji (starter) spores have long since germinated and the mycelium has grown so much that it has started to bind the rice corns into a cake.

The smell is right – delightfully sweet and fruity. The temperature is right after a slight adjustment, and the moisture, tho a little on the wet side, is OK. Now I’ll break up the clumps while adding air and put it into the heat chamber for another 12 hours.

At the same time the next batch of rice is washed and soaking for tonights steaming.

I need some rice koji. I’ve already run out of that which I made this spring. So off to an early start.

Just inoculate steamed rice with good tane koji, and put it in the heat chamber for a couple of days.

i

Dried and packaged for later use.

And now the second batch is up drying, and the third batch is inoculated and in the incubator. It’s kind of like a conveyor belt operation, but with little hands on work. If the conditions are right the aspergillus mold grows very well on it’s own.

The first batch of koji was done last evening. The harvest was good and of good quality.

Now it’s spread out drying above the warm water pipes and the next batch is already in the incubator growing.

It’s growing very well.

It looks good – a nice powdery white color. It smells good – a sweet grapefruity, slightly sour aroma fills the room (and house). It tastes good – sweet like amazake. It has a good consistancy – it cakes together in one big clump, but breaks apart easily. The humidity factor is good – slighty dry especially on the surface and does not have any gooeyness.

Now to mix in air, and the dryer surface rice with the moister rice from the bottom and put it back in the heat cabinet (30 degrees C) for the last 12 hours.

In the meantime I’ll get ready for the next batch.

Last evening I took the soaked rice and steamed it.

After cooling, I inoculated it with spores of aspergillus oryzae from Higuchi Shoten in Japan.

Then put it into the incubator.

This morning I took the containers out to check, break up clumps and mix in air.

This procedure happens every morning and evening for 2 days (48 hours) until done, and I have the next batch ready to go. The harvested koji will then be dried for later use.

The last batch of koji for this year is put out to dry.

I’ve gone through about 15 kilos barley, 10 kilos rye, and 16 kilos of rice turning it into koji. Some has already been made into miso, some has been sold, a little more will be made into miso and the rest will be saved to sell or make into miso in the fall.

The koji making season is over for this year. Now it is time to start planting seeds.

This morning I started the fourth batch of rice koji.

Growth is good with the new package of starter (tane koji) from Higuchi.

Now I have a half kilo ready to send off to a costomer.

At about this time last year I got the idea of trying rye for koji making. I had my grain farmer run the rye grains through the husking machine he uses for barley. It worked fine, so I made 3 batches of rye miso. The first one, a 6 month miso, was good and now long eaten up. The second, a 1 year miso is now open and it is great. It has a flavor of it’s own.

There is a 2 year miso too, to open next year.

In the mean time I must get busy and make more rye koji and rye miso.

It grew very well

I’ll make some with the other barley tane koji too – and a couple batches of 2 year rye miso.