Archives for category: Building

We are touching up the barn-red (falu röd) on the sheds.

Wind break

The second warmth-of-the-sun accumulator for the grape ’solaris’ is finished.

I wish I’d known how easy and so much fun this is, when I was younger, I would have made a stone barrier all the way around the garden. To help keep critters out, and because I like the natural beauty of it.

Strong back weak mind!

We had quite a storm yesterday.

The wind tipped over the stage.

Not much damage done. We just tipped it up again, anchored it better, and hope we don’t get any stronger storms any time soon. The raftering for the temporary roofing will have to be better designed.

When it’s really cold and stormy I can stay indoors and do a lot of reading, as well as making koji and miso, but soon I get restless and need to get out for some fresh air and maybe skiing, or to do some carpentry or such. My little make-shift workshop behind the house is protected, and a nice place to spend the afternoon even when it’s cold and windy.

I always need more cages for protecting the plants that the butterflies, deer and hares like.

This year I made them with one long side open. I can put them together and hold them with a latch on each end.

This way they are still light weight and easier to move and open up for weeding and harvesting, while covering a wider area. I hope!

I’ve reached the top of the back wall and am done with this years stone building. 



Now during the winter, I can start building the the wooden superstructure. 

I may never be finished, but I felt close to it when I put some finishing touches on the newest garden rest hut.

The roof top is now sealed with old tins. 

These are large olive oil tins cut open and bent to fit (we use a lot of olive oil). The end got a tail – tin flapping in the wind. 


Then I painted the front with pine tar paint. 


It looks kind of weird, but I’m already getting used to it and like the change. And I love the smell of it. 

This shed is almost completely made of salvaged building material. 


Some really old lumber that anyone else would take to the dump. 


But with a coat of red barn paint (falu red) it looks like new and will probably last another 50 years. 

I finally got the stone embankment finished on the backside (north) of the gothic greenhouse. 



With a load of good shaped stones from the farmer and the help of my son, we rolled, slid and levered these big stones into place and filled in with gravel. This should help insulate, retaining heat while facilitating drainage. 



I was going to do the same for the front side of the greenhouse and have a perennial bed there, but I changed my mind. I can’t manage the weeds. So we took away the stones, dug it out, and I’ll just have a gravelly dirt embankment with grass that I can mow. That’ll be much easier. 

The liner is in place, cement blocks all the way around and filled with new dirt. 


The minigreenhouse is ready just in time for the cabbages and lettuces that have started to germinate. They were in the cellar where it’s a bit too dark. Now they are here where it’s a bit too cold probably. I may have to take them in at night, if I don’t forget. 


Getting done.


It’s done!



Except for some natural preservative painting as well as fixing the dirt and foundation later. 


This recycled graffiti plywood backside will hopefully be visited by some local graffiti artist and get a more colorful paint job, preferably in shades of green.